Policies and Procedures
- Link to 2012 FCI rules (download for free) http://www.fci.be/medias/UTI=REG-IPO-en-498.pdf
- Qualification to hold office - As of August 27, 2007, all officers and candidates for office (including directors at large) that will sit on the Executive Board of AWMA be required to have titled a dog at the IPO 1, MR 1 or FR 1 level.
- PayPal charges - Transaction costs charged by PayPal will be rounded up to the closest $0.25 and added to each purchase. PayPal fees will not be charged to those using the service to make a donation.
- Posting of motions on the discussion board - The text of all seconded motions will be posted on the discussion board and the final roll call vote will be provided with the exception of situations specified by the bylaws.
- The AWMA will allow Canadian groups to form an AWMA club provided that the group follows all AWMA policies, remits funds in US currency, and uses the identifier 'Canada or Canadian' in their club name. Entry of Canadian members into the AWDF Championship through the AWMA will follow AWDF policies. The ability to enter international events through through the AWMA or AWDF is controlled by the policies of those international entities. Canadian groups from Manitoba east will be affiliated with AWMA's Northern Region and others will be affiliated with the Western Region. Effective Feb. 27, 2015.
- To maintain full member status in the AWMA, by October 1 of the year in which the annual general board meeting, each club must have hosted or have approved an AWMA IPO trial to be held by December 31 of the calendar year. If a club cannot host a trial, they may use an event approved by their regional director as a substitute; this event must be held by October 1. Examples of acceptable events are holding an AWMA training day (could be open to anyone), hosting a training seminar for participants from within and outside the club, hosting a club obedience and/or protection fun tournament, or conducting a fundraising event for the AWMA FMBB and/or FCI team members. Clubs must contact their regional director to ensure that their event club meets the intent of this provision in the by-laws. In addition, any club that hosts the AWMA National IPO Championship is automatically exempt from hosting an event in the year following the championship. Effective November 30, 2016.
AWMA Trial Info
- Hosting an AWMA trial - Revised 2016. And as of 10/29/2010, any club that denies permission for AWMA apprentice judges to apprentice at their event will have their trial authorization revoked. Former versions: 3/5/2010 & 3/30/2012
- AWMA BH/VT exam - Effective July 2013
- AWMA Trial and Training Policy - Effective March 6, 2014
- Trial Guidelines for Championship updated December 2017 .docx .pdf
- Contract for clubs hosting the AWMA National Championship - (Revised December 2013) As of August 11, 2008, a flat fee of $25 from each entry to the annual AWMA National championships be donated to a fund for the following year's national event. As of 2013, the base contribution from the AWMA will be raised from $1500 to $2000.
- Policy on trophies at the AWMA National IPO Championship — Effective Jan. 31, 2014
- Entering the AWMA National IPO Championship - All FCI registered Belgian Shepherd Dogs with an AWDF recognized scorebook will be allowed to enter, along with any dog that has an AWMA issued AWDF scorebook that lists the dog as a Belgian Malinois, regardless of whether it is FCI registered or not. Handlers must be current and valid members of the AWMA (as approved July 20, 2011)
- Entering FH Championships held in conjunction with the AWMA National IPO Championship - For FH Championships held in conjunction with the AWMA National IPO Championship, all dogs with valid AWDF recognized scorebooks will be allowed to enter, provided that the handler has a current and valid membership in the AWMA. (as approved July 21, 2011)
AWDF General Information
- Payment for AWDF High Malinois Trophy - As of March 7, 2012, no vote is needed to authorize payment for this trophy.
- Reimbursement for delegate to AWDF meeting - The AWMA will budget up to $750 to help offset the cost for one delegate to the AWDF annual meeting, with expenses limited to airfare and car rental or mileage for personal vehicle and two nights’ hotel.
- Entering the AWDF Championship - To represent the AWMA at the AWDF Championship, you must be a current member of the AWMA and have an AWDF recognized scorebook. Any dog that has an AWDF recognized scorebook that lists the dog as a Belgian Malinois, regardless of whether it is FCI registered or not will be eligible to represent the AWMA. AWDF scorebooks are available through the AWMA.
- Support for AWMA members of the FCI IPO team: As of August 16, 2006, funds for the FCI IPO team (AWMA representatives) will be made available from the AWMA at a total of $500.00 to be split amongst them. Total includes donations from the membership with the difference made up by the treasury.
- Policy for AWMA mebers of the FCI IPO tem starting in 2019: See section below on support for the FMBB team.
- Policy for Financial Support for AWMA IPO FMBB and FCI team members: Revised March 2018
This policy applies to the handler of the dog who will be participating in the FMBB (effective 2018) or FCI Championships (effective 2019).
All handlers who submit a declaration as part of the IPO team must adhere to the following conditions to be eligible for any financial sponsorship from the AWMA. For the FMBB, this includes payment of the FMBB entry fee and cost of the uniforms:
- The handler must have a current membership that was paid by July 1 of the membership year in which they declare (membership year runs from June 1 – May 31). Proof of compliance is a current AWMA membership card.
In addition, the handler must comply with one of the two items below:
- The handler is a current member of a full AWMA club in good standing from January 1 of the year prior to the date of the FMBB or FCI declaration to December 31 of that same year. This AWMA club must have held a trial or qualifying event in the same time period or have petitioned for and been granted a waiver from hosting an event at the prior annual meeting (see Article V, Section 1b, iv-v). Proof of compliance is an official AWMA club roster listing the handler’s name.
- The handler has competed (not just entered) with any dog at an AWMA trial (other than the AWMA National IPO Championship) in the same time period as (2) above. Proof of compliance is a copy of the scorebook with the handler’s name listed.
For both the FMBB and FCI championships, handlers will not be eligible for any funds raised by the AWMA if these conditions are not met. For the FMBB team, if proof of compliance is not provided with the declaration, the handler must submit payment for the FMBB entry fee (typically 100 Euros) along with their $250 deposit. Entrants will also be required to cover the cost of their uniforms if uniforms are purchased by the AWMA.
- Handlers at the FMBB event - Each handler will be allowed to enter the FMBB for only ONE of the three events in a given year, even in the unlikely event that a handler and dog team qualify for more than one event.
- Request for judges from other organizations for AWMA trials - (added 2/1/11)
- AWMA youth handlers who have applied for or renewed their free membership by July 1 of the same calendar year as the AWMA National IPO Championship will be eligible for a no cost entry to the event. The AWMA will compensate the host club for the cost of the entry. Effective July 20, 2016.
FMBB Declarations and Guidelines
AWMA/FMBB IPO World Team Competitior Guidelines (Updated 11/27/2017):
- 2018 IPO World Team Regulations and Team Selection Criteria PDF
- 2018 Team Competitor/Member Guidelines PDF
- 2018 IPO III Declaration Form PDF
- 2018 Team Captain Guidelines PDF
AWMA/FMBB Agility World Team Competitor Guidelines (Updated 11/27/2017):
- 2018 Agility World Team Regulations and Team Selection Criteria PDF
- 2018 Team Competitor/Member Guidelines PDF
- 2018 Agility Declaration Form PDF
- 2018 Entry Qualification Form PDF
- 2018 Team Captain Guidelines PDF
FMBB Mondio Team Competitor Guidelines (Updated 11/27/2017):
- 2018 Mondio World Team Regulations PDF
- 2018 Mondio World Team Declarations PDF
- Also see the US Mondio Ring Association Web Site for more information